Wednesday, November 8, 2006

Blong Xiong Wins City Council Seat in Fresno

In the local race I was watching most closely, Blong Xiong defeated Scott Miller to win the District 1 Fresno City Council seat. He is the first Asian Pacific American to serve on the City Council (can you say, long overdue?) and only the third Hmong American City Council person in California. Blong is a well-respected man who will work hard to bring good ideas to the district. I've met him on several occasions, and during one he referred to me as his "Korean brother." Miller, who ran a good campaign, holds him in high regard---as the rest of the city soon will, too. Congratulations, Blong!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As having spent the last 14 months walking the beat with Blong I am naturally thrilled he won.

His mild and respectful manner along with looking at all possible angles to resolve situations makes him a person I am proud to be associated with.

He has made history by being the first Asian American to serve on Fresno's City Council. His term paves the way for future leaders.

- Ari
volunteer with sore feet.

Lee Herrick said...

Ari, thanks for your comment. Congratulations to all of you who worked so tirelessly. I have a great amount of respect for Blong. He indeed paves the way, and I'm very proud of him. He's a class act.

Anonymous said...

that's great news. say, did you get my letter?

Lee Herrick said...

Soon-Young, yes, I got it. I'll be sending you something this week. Sorry it's taken me so long!