Saturday, November 8, 2008

November

I am still riding so high on the decisive, historic, and uplifting Presidential election results. And I am riding high from the wonderful reception and reading at Fullerton College last week. Around 200-250 people came to my reading, in the beautiful Wilshire Auditorium. Thank you to everyone who came out and thank you to Bruce, Amber, and the committee for your kind hospitality and warmth. And I am overjoyed at my friend's nomination for the Asian American Literary Award in Poetry---Sun Yung Shin's remarkable first book, Skirt Full of Black. Go Sun Yung!

*

I am also glad to be writing these days. The last few months I have had so much going on that I haven't been able to write much, but the last two weeks have been good. I am currently working on some prose---short vignettes about Korea, aspects of its political history and its intersections with political poets from 1965-1975, the economy of agency and adoption. I don't have the best footing when it comes to writing prose, so I am not sure where this writing will eventually go---towards fiction or perhaps towards poems. But whatever form the ideas ultimately assume, I am very glad to be writing.

*

And, I thought I would post a photo of my biggest joy, S. Here she is, playing her rendition of Row, row, row your boat.

No comments: