Sunday, February 24, 2008

Long before Founder Matt O'Donnell invited me to record poems for From the Fishouse, I was a huge fan of what he'd assembled---an "audio archive of emerging poets" and a leading voice (if you will) in the resurgence of the many pleasures of hearing poetry. I remember being awed and intrigued in school hearing Dylan Thomas reading his poems, and now, as books of poems are increasingly including audio (i.e., you can hear the breathtaking miracles on the full-length CD included when you buy Li-Young Lee's new book, Behind My Eyes), I return again and again to From the Fishouse for the poems, the readings of the poems, and the very interesting section where the poets discuss (among other prompts) their favorite writing time, the genesis of a particular poem they have written, two poets they would recommend, and advice for younger poets. Want to hear the voices of Matthew Shenoda, Oliver de la Paz, and Barbara Jane Reyes? You haven't heard Brian Turner's incredible poem, "Here, Bullet"? It's there. I've recently enjoyed the recordings of Evie Shockley, Cate Marvin, and many others. The Winter 2008 issue includes Xochiquetzal Candelaria, Aracelis Girmay, and Helen Wickes, among others. I am grateful and happy to be in the forthcoming issue, which features:

Rick Barot
Margo Berdeshevsky
David Cappella
Ken Cormier
Vievee Francis
Lee Herrick
Doug Kearney
Thomas Sayers Ellis
Rachel Simon
ML Smoker
Erica Wright

I recorded six poems and discussed my favorite writing time and the genesis of my poem, "Salvation." I'm not sure when it will be up, but you can check back here or at the Fishouse site. Time is well spent there. I've used it in my poetry classes in the past, and I'm thinking about how to incorporate it even more. Enjoy.

No comments: