Monday, January 8, 2007

Happy New Year and New Poems Here and There

We had a great time in New York---Battery Park City, Lower Manhattan, to be exact. We rented a 14th floor studio apartment with a beautiful view overlooking the Hudson River. The apartment was one block from Ground Zero. We couldn't see it from our apartment, but we walked past it every day. It's deep---about six stories deep, more stories than that wide. Breathtaking in many ways. We got around: the top of the Empire State Building, Central Park, the American Musuem of Natural History, the Museum of Modern Art, Little Korea, Chinatown, Times Square, and Nolita.
*

I have two poems in each of the new (great) issues of:

Many Mountains Moving ("Raison D'etre" and "Three Dreams of Korea: Notes on Adoption")

MiPOesias: The Asian American Issue ("Korean Adoptee Daydreams" and "truths")

and one in the remarkable anthology:

Hurricane Blues: Poems About Katrina and Rita ("A Thousand Saxophones")

*

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very much enjoyed my leisurely stroll through your world...as a poet and an avid reader, I found it both enriching and enlightening. I thank you...

Lee Herrick said...

Thank you for your nice comments. They're much appreciated.

daddy in a strange land said...

Welcome back and happy new year! Hope S. is well. (And you two, of course, but you know that nobody cares about the parents now, just the kid!) ;) Bet it's colder where you are now than it was in NYC (it sure is down here in our part of the Valley). Heh.

Pris said...

Hi Lee
I used to get to Manhattan a lot when I lived in Rhode Island, then Boston. Even lived there the summer before I went to grad school. I love the city. I watched the Trade Towers go up. My last trip there in 1989, besides hitting the whole city (it seemed), I went to the MOMA twice (I can't get enough of that place) and went to the top of the towers for the first time. Standing next to those floor to ceiling viewing windows, I wondered what it would be like to fall from such a great height. When I saw others doing that rather than be burned during 9/11, it was just horrifying.

Sheryl said...

Hi Lee,
I'll check out your MMM poems soon! I loved the ones in Miopoesis! They were wonderful.
Cheers!

Lee Herrick said...

DISL, thank you, and Happy New Year to you, la dra, and the Pumpkin!

Pris, "horrifying" is a good word for it. To say it is eerie would be an understatement, and the memorial on the east side of the area is very sobering and somber. We also loved the MOMA...spent about four hours there and could have spent more.

Sheryl, thank you for your nice comments about my poems in MiPOesias. The issue of MMM is good, too---very hefty, and Jeffrey, the editor, has done a great job resurrecting that magazine.

Puka said...

Welcome back! Sounds like you and your family had a great time in NYC.

Puka said...

Welcome back! Sounds like you and your family had a great time in NYC.

Lee Herrick said...

Thanks, Puka! Yes, we had a great time there. I hope we can go again soon. Hope all's well out there in FL.

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a great time, Lee and welcome back. Looks like the new year is off to a great start. I wish you much success and happiness throughout the year. :)

Lee Herrick said...

ditto, sume! best in the new year to you.