Thursday, March 9, 2006

Hurricane Blues: How Katrina and Rita Ravaged a Nation

A heartfelt thank you to editors Philip Kolin and Susan Swartwout for accepting my poem, "A Thousand Saxophones," for publication in Hurricane Blues: How Katrina and Rita Ravaged a Nation, an anthology to be published in Fall 2006. All proceeds go to hurricane relief, so look out for its publication and buy a copy! I appreciate those who read my poem early on and commented on it---in particular, thank you Amy U. for your support and for sending me Lee McCarthy's comments on it. Anyway, Hurricane Blues will also include poems by Bob Hicok, Nicole Cooley, Fred Chappell, and Colleen McElroy, among others. I'm really excited to be part of it. The devastation of the hurricanes bothers me to this day. The anthology will be published by Southeast Missouri State University Press.

7 comments:

Michelle M. Buchanan said...

Congrats Lee, and wonderful for being a part of it.

Lee Herrick said...

Thanks, everyone! I'm excited about it. I'll post something again when it's out.

Soul Vang said...

Congratulations! Your poem has found its way home.

Lee Herrick said...

thanks, soul---i'm happy.

btw, i hope you can make it to the uyematsu reading on march 22. burlee vang of the hmong american writers' workshop will be reading.

Anonymous said...

it's so important for this poem to reach more readers, so i'm glad "a thousand saxophones" will be part of the anthology. congratulations, lee.

Lee Herrick said...

thanks, amy!

Pris said...

Lee, that poem still is one of the best poems I've read in a long time. It really deserved this honor. Congratulations~