Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Asians Represent on the Golden Globes

Is it just me, or did this year's Golden Globes have a decidedly higher number of Asian Americans involved and winning? Of course, Ang Lee rocks and (although I have not seen Brokeback Mountain) apparently deserves all the accolades. But there was also Korean Canadian Sandra Oh, who won for her role on Grey's Anatomy. Has there been a television actress of Asian descent who's won such a prize? Then there was Paradise Now, the Pakistani film which took home the Best Foreign Language Film honor. Kim Yunjin, the Korean-American actress on Lost, was onstage as her show won for Best Television Drama. Zhang Ziyi was there, and overall it was nice to see more than just one face among the sea of faces. Yes, there could/should/hopefully soon will be more. But it struck me that there were even this many. And with Gurinder Chadha now working on the remake of the popular 2001 South Korean film My Sassy Girl and Justin Lin (Better Luck Tomorrow) directing the forthcoming Anapolis, which includes Roger Fan from BLT, good films with decent roles may...knock on wood...be on the way. Come to think of it, Alice Wu's Saving Face and the buzz surrounding Jessica Sanders' documentary After Innocence makes it a very exciting time for APA cinema.

5 comments:

WannabeMe said...

I didn't watch the show, but I love Sandra Oh and Kim Yunjin! Woo-hoo!

Michelle M. Buchanan said...

I just happened to miss all the good movies of the year. But I love Grey's Anatomy and Sandra Oh. I also love love Lost.

I missed the Golden Globes too.

Lee Herrick said...

I've only seen one episode of Lost, but I always mean to watch more. And I like Sandra Oh, too...I think she's really cool.

pam said...

Sandra Oh kicks ass. And she's not too bad with the helmet whack either (see Sideways)...ow!

Lee Herrick said...

that was an awesome scene! full on contact, helmet to skull!