Saturday, October 22, 2005

Busy, busy, busy

Well it's been a while since my last post, so I thought I would explain. The most time consuming part of my last month was the 2005 ECCTYC conference, which we had been planning for the last year. The three-day conference in Long Beach was a huge success -- great breakout sessions, lively conversations and exchanges, and excellent speakers. I chaired the speakers committee. So I was busy with our three guests: Dr. Charles Bazerman from UCSB, who delivered a powerful keynote address; Kim Addonizio, national book award finalist, who gave a great reading from What Is This Thing Called Love? and her new novel, Little Beauties; and the novelist Lisa Glatt, who read from a her new collection of stories, The Apple's Bruise. It was great meeting all three of them.

I'm also working on a few poems -- one for a political poetry web site and one that I will perform at the Fresno Art Museum in December as part of a "poetry meets the blues" event, along with four other poets: Connie Hales, Julie Kim Garcia, Juana Echeveste, and Mike Maniquiz. The reading is December 15, so be on the lookout for press about that event.

Other than that, it seems like a lot of grading student essays and committee work has been keeping me busier than usual, but overall, it's all good, as they say. I'm going out of town tonight to visit my parents, who just got back from Europe. Looking forward to catching up with them. Hopefully I can post with more regularity in the coming weeks. Till next time, Lee.

No comments: